CONDITIONS FOR A PERMIT TO LIGHT A FIRE
Pursuant to Section 6 of the Environment Protection (Air Quality) Policy 2016 a person must not cause or permit the burning of matter by a fire in the open on any non-domestic premises without written consent given under this clause by the Authority or a council or council officer as delegate of the Authority. The following conditions apply to the permit:
1. Council reserves the right to grant or refuse any application at the Authorised Officer‘s discretion.
2. Property must be at least half an acre in size; however all applications will require individual assessment.
3. Only dry cured material can be burnt, NO green grass, leaves or garden waste. NO treated wood, plastics, rubber, poly or similar material is to be burnt.
4. No fire may be lit or maintained pursuant to this permit except between the hours of 10.00am and 3.00pm Monday to Saturday (inclusive).
5. Adjoining neighbours must be notified by you prior to burning.
6. No fires may be lit or maintained on a Sunday.
7. The land immediately around and above the relevant land must cleared of all flammable material to a distance of at least four metres.
8. A sufficient number of persons to control the fire must be present at the site of the fire from the time it is lighted to the time it is completely extinguished.
9. An appropriate agent adequate to extinguish any escape of fire must be kept at hand.
10. The permit does not relieve the person to whom it is granted from liability for any loss or damage caused by any fire lit or maintained pursuant to this permit and the Council does not accept any responsibility for any such loss or damage.
11. The permit is liable to be revoked if the permit holder fails to comply with any conditions or other justifiable circumstances.
12. Failure to comply with any specified conditions of consent will result in the permit holder being liable to a maximum fine of $4000 or 1 year imprisonment.
13. This is not a permit to clear Native Vegetation. Controlled by Native Vegetation Act 1991 requires a separate permit.
Local CFS Brigades:
Brukunga 8388 6255 Hahndorf 8388 7771 Meadows 8388 3206
Callington 8538 5592 Littlehampton 8391 2732 Mount Barker 8391 1841
Echunga 8388 8181 Macclesfield 8388 9216 Nairne 8388 6246